Saturday, March 10, 2007

Big Daddy is going down!

And not on me! Sickos!

April 2, Jerry will have his second surgery. You may remember the microdiscectomy back in October to lop off part of a herniated disc. Well, the pain never went away, and another MRI revealed that what is left of the disc in there is faultier than the San Andreas line. Fissures and crumbling - much like a piece of coffee cake left out to dry. SO, he'll go back in and have a spinal fusion. So, start those prayer rituals, healing dances, goat or virgin sacrifices or whatever it is you do. We'd certainly appreciate it.

Today, I learned the true value of friendship. In the last couple of weeks, as Jer's back got worse, I've been doing more and more things around here as he's not able to help me as much. One day, at work, I got all boo-hooey with my friend Delores (all together now - "DELORES!!") Well, today she, her fiance and her daughter came over and spent a few hours helping me clean up my front yard. 26 bags of leaves, and they never once complained. That's some great friendship right there. Makes me realize how lucky I am (sap, sap, sap). She's the best friend a girl could ask for. In fact, she was my first very own friend I made when I moved to Virginia. And she used to be my boss. She so rocks! I'm looking for volunteers to come and help me clean the INSIDE of my house next. You don't even have to tell me you're coming, just show up any Saturday and be prepared to work! I'll feed you and everything.

Then, we hit the grocery store, did a couple loads of laundry and ordered Chinese food.

I do need to mention that we were accosted outside the grocery store by a large gaggle of girls (and you thought I was going to say geese!). The were taking part in the favorite past time of hellions everywhere the second week in March - selling GirlScout Cookies. They camp out on either side of the entance to the store. You cannot get in or out without passing them. As they put on their cutest smile and say "Would you like to buy some cookies?" And if you say no thanks, they send in the big guns - a brownie. With blonde hair and super blue eyes, who looks up at you with that lost puppydog look and says "PLEASE?" It's not even a comment, it's a plea. She's begging you to buy them.

I did the only thing a self respecting person could do at that moment. I looked at her, smiled and said "No thanks honey, my butt and these hips are expanding just fine on their own with age. YOURS will do the same thing if you grow up eating those."

As she backed slowly away from me with tears in her eyes, I thought for a split second I was a horrible woman. Then, I remembered that my boy will probably be a Cub Scout. This means he'll sell microwave popcorn. And even if I had bought the cookies from the cutie patootie, people are going to shoo my boy away faster than you can say "Puleeeeeeeezzzeee?"

SO, that kept me super busy today and I am *almost* completey wiped out. I have a little left in me, and after I put my child to bed, I plan on taking a long, luxurious bubble bath, shaving my legs (ALL the way up!) and I'm hoping to get around to my pits too, if I don't dull the blade on the yeti-hair. Maybe I'll do those first. European so isn't my style.

Hope your Saturday went swimmingly!

No comments: