Friday, September 15, 2006

Lookout! She's talking smack!

[**Warning/Disclaimer/whatever you wanna call it: I AM NOT BASHING RELIGION HERE. I am simply telling you my thoughts on why I won’t/don’t go to church. THAT’S ALL. Don’t read anything into it. I’m not inspired by Satan, I don’t need me some savin’ and if you are easily offended when someone makes a comment about religion in the year 2006, then for heaven’s sake – DON’T READ ANY MORE OF THIS BLOG ENTRY.]

It is a question that has been pondered by millions, asked by a handful, and never completely answered by the Princess herself. The question on the minds of the multitudes: “PP, why don’t you go to church? Ever?”

The answer, my friends, is blowing. No, not in the wind, and no, not altar boys. Blowing meaning that the world is full enough of hypocritical, ultra-right-wing conservative, bigoted, we-like-you-only-if-you-do-exactly-what-we-say blowhards that I don’t need to sit in a small building being told that their way is the right way, the only way, and that they will change “The Word of God” to suit their needs at that moment and if you don’t play along, you don’t get to pass “Go” later on – unless you pay us $1,000, then we can forget this ever happened.

Having said that, I do consider myself mostly a Christian. Take that! I just don’t think it needs to be organized and put into a form and pushed on other people. I don’t even want to share it. It’s mine and mine alone and no one else can have it. Sure, if you wanted to have an intelligent conversation about it, I’ll tell you my thoughts and theories, my beliefs and morals, and at the end of it, you too will come to see that my way is right and everyone else’s is wrong…no wait, that’s not it either.

So there, it’s out in the open. I’m no longer hiding. What brought all of this up? Why, the Pope did! You know, he’s been accused of trying to revive the spirit of the Crusades and came across as very anti-Islam. Of course, the Vatican denies that the remarks were not meant to be mean, i.e., “he’s not a bully!” Yet, those on the other side of the coin were very insulted, saying that the Pope will go down in history “in the same category as leaders such as Hitler and Mussolini.” WOW. That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? Or maybe it wasn’t. Maybe the quote he read that said basically that all of the ways that Islam was different from Christianity were evil was a way for him to say “Our God can kick your God’s ass!”, was not a wise choice, and maybe he should have picked a different one. Maybe, just maybe he could have read “Llama Llama Red Pajama” instead. That’s always a crowd pleaser.
A quote from the article I was reading: ‘Benedict wants to "cultivate an attitude of respect and dialogue toward the other religions and cultures, obviously also toward Islam," Lombardi said.’ I don’t remember Vince Lombardi saying ANYTHING like that. He said more profound things like:

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

"Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing-the result."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

So it’s this petty crap about pointing fingers, taking pot shots, defending the wrong things and not standing up for the right things that drives me batty as far as organized religion. I’m not saying it’s all bad. I’m just saying it’s not for me. And if it’s for you, good for you! But in a world where Dog gets arrested, vegetables can make you SUPER SICK, and giant babies are being born, I’m going to spend my time doing my own thing, my own way. After all, Britney and K-Fed now have 2 children and someone needs to keep THAT from ever happening again.

No comments: