Wednesday, January 17, 2007

And on the 8th day, he created stem cells, you moron

Well, day 1 without smokes went extremely well! I flew right through it and there were only a couple of times during the day when I normally would have lit up that I was at a lost for what to do. It wasn't that I wanted a smoke, it was just that I didn't know what else to do. So, I cleaned my kitchen! Day 2 is just as easy, so far. I left the patch on all night - no bad dreams and I slept good. SO, until it starts bothering me, it'll stay on all night long. I'm not even crabby or cranky, not more than my usual anyhow. I wonder when that is going to kick in? This has been too easy so far. MUCH too easy. Something bad is going to happen, isn't it?

So, I'm going to write about something I think about every day - my Multiple Sclerosis and how the relious right along with our idiotic commander in chief (I can't even capitalize it) are keeping people like me from having hope by not funding the fucking stem cell research. This little snippet from the news today should illustrate why this just pisses me off. First, read part of the article:

BOSTON (Reuters) - Human embryonic stem cells can help regenerate damaged nerves in rats, producing compounds that nurture nerve cells and stimulate the growth of new ones, Geron Corp. said on Wednesday.

Geron had earlier reported that human embryonic stem cells had helped replace myelin, a fatty covering on nerves that is vital to function.

So basically, think of myelin as the little casing on a set of wires. Without it, the wires don't work right, if at all, often short circuiting, wreaking all kinds of havoc. Eventually, those nerves won't work at all anymore. So, in MS you have the myelin being destroyed, causing short circuits all over your body. Right now, once this is gone, it's gone. You're screwed. Yet, they have found a way to fix this in rats. They have found a way to regenerate the myelin. While this would not cure MS, it would certainly treat it much better than the shit we're forced to take. But nooooo! People are too fucking concerned about possibility of life from a bunch of frozen cells that are going to end up in the god damn trash instead of possibly preserving quality of life for those of us who have some sort of disease. And it just pisses me off. Because there is absolutely nothing I can do except write letters and complain. And I've done this - I've never even received an answer, and I know I never will.

So to all those who do not understand the concept of stem-cell research and think it's ok for people to continue living in agony because our government wouldn't further the advance of medicine through funding, I'm shouting a resounding FUCK YOU. In essence, you are saying that the "potential" for human life that is going to end up in a god damn trash can outweighs that which already exists. Therefore, folks like me are going to have to go on Social Security Disability long before we should and it's going to cost you twice as much in the long run - probably YOUR share of Social Security. So, you're still paying for it while I have to quit work and get paid to be a non-working member of society. Perhaps I should say thanks instead of being pissed. However, in essence, you're paying to have me and millions like me suffer. That makes you an asshole.

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm crabby because I'm not smoking. Not true! I am still in a fantastic mood. I just hate religious zealots that want to shove their religion and their beliefs down my throat, especially when they worm their way into medicine, science and politics. They say "put it in God's hands". Perhaps we did and he handed us stem cell research. And you're fighting it - a solution given to us by God him/her/itself. And you're fucking it up. Think about that for a bit - the possibilities that those opposed to stem cell research for religious reasons could actually be fighting the will of the God they love and adore.

And one more thing, while I'm at it: I don't want to see any of these fuckers receiving any benefits from the advances that do come from the existing stem cell lines. Only the supporters should reap the benefits.

Rant over.

No comments: