Friday, January 26, 2007

Global Stupidity

My tolerance for stupid people has decreased over the years. At one point, I could listen to an idiot, nod and smile and move on. I have noticed I can no longer do such a thing. Now, when someone says something stupid, I am no longer content with nodding and smiling. I just have to say something. Had I developed this intolerance immediately after college, I would blame it on education. However, it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really began letting loose the thoughts in my head when someone would say something that was so ridiculous that even a chimp would throw fecal matter at the speaker. The kind of stupidity that I find most infuriating is intolerance of other's beliefs. Those who assume that their thoughts and opinions are the only right ones and everyone who disagrees with them are stupid and just plain wrong. You know the type of person I'm talking about. They never fail to have volumes of otherwise useless information to support their side of things. Information that the normal person probably doesn't have. Information that is probably made up (i.e., bullshit).

I had an encounter with this type of individual yesterday. While there is no doubt that this guy has book smarts, complete with a PhD, he's still stupid when it comes to the difference between fact and opinion. Here's how it went down:

Out of nowhere yesterday, it starts snowing. ALOT. It's too warm for it to stick for very long, but it was really coming down. He goes off on a tirade about "Look everyone! Al Gore fixed global warming!" Did I mention he's a Republican who professes that everything not 100% supported by the Republican party is wrong? He launched into facts, figures, his "proof" that global warming either doesn't exist or is overly exaggerated to cause mass hysteria and further anti-republican political agendas. I've heard this from him before, so I tuned it out. Moments later, he walks into my office and says "Did you hear what I said about global warming?" And starts giggling. I looked at him and stated simply, yet in a bitchy tone, that he shouldn't be so quick to belittle other people's beliefs. He tried to defend himself and I cut him off and said "Yes, I know you think global warming doesn't exist but it's not your place to make fun of others who do, especially when polar bears are dying due to shrinking polar pack ice." Or something along those lines. His well educated answer? "Fuck the polar bears." And he left my office. You should know that of all the animals on this earth today, polar bears are my most favorite. HOWEVER, I took the high road and let it go. Some people are just so convinced that they are right and that their beliefs are absolute facts that it's not worth the time it takes to argue with them.

So this morning, I said good morning to him. He says "What? No snide remark?" My answer: "It's early. Give it an hour." Then, I muttered "Cock". And even though he probably didn't hear it, I felt a pleasant calmness wash over me. I didn't bother saying it loud and clear because, after all it is just my opinion. Although I'm certain I could get others to agree with me. I might even be able to offer some bullshit of my own one day to support my supposition. If not, that's ok. It's my opinion. And I don't need anyone to agree with it to know I'm right. I'm such a cock.

I'm certain I'm not the only person who has to deal with these types of people daily. There is an epidemic in the world we need to address: Global Stupidity. It's one of the many things I'm going to try to get government money to study. Once we understand fully how it spreads, we can work on ways to stop it.

No comments: